Sunday, September 16, 2007

Homesick, Rainy, Sunday with Matt Damon

Well I have passed the month mark, and on Wednesday I will have been here for 5 weeks. There has been a lot of adjustment and things that I miss while being down here, mostly family, friends, and John. However, for the most part time has really been flying down here. Today, though, I was pretty homesick and just wanted to hear English, or do something American. So I started to watch some movies when I got a call from one of the guys in the program asking if my roommate and I wanted to go to a movie. It seriously couldn't have come at a better time. So five of us decided to go see the Bourne Ultimatum. Let me tell you it is quite an experience going to the movies down here. There was a huge line and around 8 tellers at the ticket counter. They even had a monitor that told you which teller was ready. Very organized. There is always a little anxiety trying something here for the first time, and I seem to always be pushed to the front of the group to do the talking. So I try to order a ticket using some broken spanish, and what a dream the guy actually spoke ENGLISH! I was so happy I could have kissed the guy. It is actually quite amazing how many people DONT speak english down here. So that was a gift from god. Anyway, down here you have assigned seats at the movies, which was interesting because we all went to buy our tickets separately which you cant do if you want to sit together. So after figuring that out we all got our tickets, and popcorn! Once you get into the theater they have three or four people waiting to take your ticket and direct you to your seat. The seats were very comfortable by the way, and not to close to the screen. After getting our tickets, treats, and seats, there was only one hurdle left...is the movie in english. So we waited with anticipation for the first words to be spoken (already having our exit route planned). Another gift from god, it was in english. I must say those two hours were so awesome, I completely forgot about being homesick, and even forgot I was in a foreign country (which is impossible down here). Nothing like an action movie and matt damon to feel american again.

No comments: