Sunday, September 30, 2007

La Plata Day Trip



Corbusier House


La Plata square, and some local boys



Cathedral in La Plata









Bank Of London















Last Friday instead of studio, our professors arranged a tour of La Plata, a nearby city, and also some visits to buildings in Buenos Aires. Our first and main building that we saw in La Plata was a home by Le Corbusier. It was the first building of his that I have seen in person, and it was a really nice project. That Friday was Dia de la Primavera (spring day) which is a big holiday for students, were everyone skips class and goes to the parks in the city. La Plata has a large main square in the center of the city, and it was full of people and activity. While walking in the square and taking pictures a group of boys approached me and asked me to take their picture, it was very funny. Right off of the square is a huge Neo-Gothic cathedral that we went in. It was such an amazing space, very relaxing. I really enjoyed my time there. After we saw the Cathedral we went back to Buenos Aires, where we went to a few more buildings. One we saw was The Bank of London by Di Testa. It was a really interesting use of concrete. I had studied this before in my history classes, so it was nice to see it in person. It was a nice day, and fun to get out of Buenos Aires in the morning to see La Plata.

2 comments:

Erika said...

I would almost consider converting to Catholicism just to enjoy their beautiful cathedrals every Sunday.

I love looking at the photos you take, they are always so visually interesting. Specifically the picture of the tree in the courtyard of the apartments (?). I also love the pic of the statue of, I assume Mary, with the gold dome.

Jill said...

you are such a good photographer. i love it that those boys wanted you to take their photo. that's really cute!